Call us now ! Send us an email Camino Del Rio S San Diego United States

Back to Top

Call now
(619) 645-7722
Call now
(619) 645-7722

Immigration Law

Permanent Residence, Naturalization, & Work Visas

For the past 20 years we have helped San Diego clients navigate the frustrating U.S. immigration system. We represent clients who are  sponsoring family members, who are applying for a work visa or aliens who are facing  deportation/removal in immigration court. We also assist permanent residents who are interested in the process of obtaining U.S. citizenship through naturalization.
We also cover:
  • Immigration Court Representation
  • Family Sponsored Immigrant Visas
  • Work Visas: H, E, L, O, P, R 
  • Employment Sponsored Permanent Residence
  • Fiancé Visa
  • Immigration Court Appeals
  • Derivative Citizenship and Naturalization

In any immigration related matter, it is wise to contact us as soon as possible. Mistakes made can take years to correct, if they can be fixed at all. We strive to bring Families Together. For many, coming to the United States is a dream come true. Bringing loved ones to the U.S. after you have established legal residency or citizenship completes that dream.

I can help you navigate your family’s transition. Call the firm at (619) 645-7722 for a professional consultation about filing petitions and securing appropriate visas. Se habla Español.

U.S. Citizens as well as permanent resident can sponsor immediate relatives
 to immigrate to the U.S. There are various “preference” categories depending on whether the sponsor is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.  Those considered immediate relatives are spouses, minor children and parents. United States citizens have an unlimited number of visas for their immediate relatives such as spouses, minor children and parents.

A U.S. Citizen May File a Petition on Behalf of His/Her:

  • Husband, wife, or child (under the age of 21) with a very short wait for the visa;
  • A parent, if the U.S. citizen is at least 21 years of age (immediate relative);
  • An unmarried son or daughter 21 years or older (first preference-may require longer wait for visa);
  • Married son or daughter of any age and their children (third preference);
  • Brother or sister and their spouses and children
  • A Lawful Permanent Resident Can File a Petition on Behalf of His/Her Spouse and Child:
  • A US Ctizen may file a petition for his/her Fiancé or Fiancee.

Securing a Visa for Immediate Relatives: 
The Immigration and Nationality Act allows U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents (green card holders) to sponsor their relatives to come to live permanently in the United States based upon their family relationship.

A U.S. consular officer will issue a visa after the United States Citizenship annd Immigration Services (USCIS) approves the petition filed by a qualified family member. After the petition is approved the visa may be issued in as little as 90 days or as long as 25 years depending upon which of the above categories of relationship the relatives qualify under. However, not all family relationships serve as a basis to apply for lawful permanent resident status.  U.S. citizens may not sponsor uncles, aunts, grandparents, nephews or nieces.

Non-Immediate Family Member Visas

Aliens other than immediate relatives fall into one of the four limited family based preference categories. A visa will not be immediately available as there is a numerical limit on the number of visas issued each year. More aliens want visas than are currently available. There may be a long waiting period for the visa to be issued. When the application is received by the USCIS they will note the filing date or the “priority date.” The applicant must wait for the priority date to be current before he or she can file to adjust status within the U.S. or apply for an immigrant visa at the US Embassy in their home country.

I will provide expert legal counsel and representation in all family sponsored immigration matters. The firm also has extensive experience assisting clients with the K1 fiancé visa, K3 marriage visa, adjustment of status to permanent residence, and consular processing of immigrant visas. To arrange a professional consultation with a knowledgeable immigration lawyer, contact the firm. In-office and telephonic consultations are available.

I will assist you in complying with the United States immigration laws that regulate entry to the United States and employment of foreign nationals.

Our firm will also provide detail-oriented help with:

  • Processing visa petitions
  • Applications for extensions of stay or change of status
  • Adjustment of status applications and consular immigrant visas for business visitors, students, athletes, artists and family dependents of executives and other professional clients

Permanent residence is possible if an offer of permanent employment is made to foreign national employees possessing extraordinary ability in their field. Also, waivers of two year foreign residence requirements are available for physicians interning in the United States in J-1 visa status.


Experienced Legal Assistance Is On Your Side. 
It is not uncommon for foreign nationals as well as permanent residents to find themselves involved in removal proceedings due to a conviction for an aggravated felony crime, or due to the foreign national overstaying the authorized period of stay. Criminal convictions are some of the most complicated matters to handle in immigration court. The outcome in immigration court could result in the permanent resident or foreign national forfeiting their right to return to the U.S. for many years if at all. If you have been served by Immigration and Customs Enforcement with a Notice To Appear in immigration court for removable or bond proceedings, it is important to contact an experienced immigration lawyer as quickly as possible.

We are Committed to Your Legal Protection
.  Persons in removal proceedings have certain rights guaranteed by the law. The alien must be given proper notice of the charges against them and may choose to be represented by an attorney at no expense to the government. The alien must be given the opportunity to present evidence on his or her behalf and examine the evidence against him or her. The decision of the immigration judge may be appealed to a higher court.

Our firm regularly appear before judges in United States immigration courts on a client’s behalf. We work to ensure our clients are fully protected to the maximum extent allowed by the law. Appeals are taken and defended before the Board of Immigration Appeals or if necessary to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals if the case is decided in this jurisdiction.

Factors Involved in Release From Custody

When an alien is taken into custody, the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer may be able to decide if the alien can be released after posting a bond. An alien must show that he or she does not pose a threat to national security or is a flight risk. Factors to consider are previous arrests in the U.S., previous convictions, illegal entry into the U.S., employment status, participation in subversive activities, and the presence of relatives in the U.S. Some aliens are entitled to bond hearings in immigration court.  The length of time it takes to get someone released from the custody of Immigration And customs Enforcement varies depending on the seriousness of the crime committed, the section of the immigration law that the person is charged with violating and the amount of bond the individual has to post before this person can be released.


If you are seeking asylum in the United States, it is essential to consult an experienced lawyer with a comprehensive knowledge of immigration and naturalization law. Your freedom or even your life could be at stake.

Legal Requirements for Requesting Asylum

The law provides for asylum and/or withholding of removal for an alien if the individual can prove he or she was persecuted or feared persecution in his or her home country based on his or her religion, political opinion, nationality, race or membership in a particular social group. An individual who fears torture may also qualify for relief.

Legal Assistance for Those Seeking U.S. Citizenship

For many immigrants, their ultimate goal is to become a citizen of the United States. Naturalization, the process of gaining citizenship, is extremely complex. Securing a knowledgeable legal ally is critical. One seemingly simple error could lead to grave results including removal proceedings.


Who Is Eligible for Citizenship in the U.S.? Many lawful permanent residents are eligible to apply for admission to citizenship through naturalization proceedings. Other aliens actually become U.S. citizens automatically by being born outside the United States to one or more U.S. citizens. Some aliens acquire U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of one or both of their parents. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will sometimes seek to deny or revoke the citizenship obtained by aliens.

Contact Information

Law Office of Edward Wong

2333 Camino Del Rio South
Suite 210
San Diego, CA 92108

Phone: 619-645-7722


Business Hours:
Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Same Day Appointment Available


Immigration Visa

Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Visas

Business Law

YP Reviews

Our Location

Show Full Map     Get Directions